The University of Agronomic Sciences and Veterinary Medicine of Bucharest (USAMV, for its acronym in Romanian) is the result of the academic, scientific and administrative process supported by great names of Romanian agronomic education and science, which began with the first Agronomic School in România (The Pantelimon Institute of Agriculture), established 164 years ago.
In 1852 Prince Barbu Știrbei signed the establishment act of the Pantelimon Agricultural Institute that started its activity in 1853. Only two years later, in 1855, the School for Veterinary Education was inaugurated. In 1867 the curriculum also included forestry, and agronomic education in Bucharest developed under the name of The Central School of Agriculture and Forestry. In 1868 the headquarters of the School moved to Herăstrău Estate and a new era began. The first Romanian agronomic research station was established in Herăstrău in 1873. The foundation of agronomic higher education was laid in 1915, when the School changed its name to the Herăstrău Agricultural College. In 1921 the Veterinary Medical College became the Faculty of Veterinary Medicine of Bucharest.
In 1929, the Herăstrău Agricultural College became the Academy of Higher Agronomic Education of Bucharest.
In 1948 the Bucharest Agronomic Institute was established, consisting of four faculties (Agriculture, Horticulture, Animal Science and Veterinary Medicine), then in 1952 it became the Nicolae Bălcescu Agronomic Institute (IANB, for its acronym in Romanian).
In 1970 the Faculty of Land Reclamation was established within the Institute, and in 1990 it became the Faculty of Land Reclamation and Environmental Engineering.
After the 5th of October 1992, IANB București operated under the name of the University of Agronomic Sciences of Bucharest, approved by Ministerial Order No. 5590/1995 signed by the Minister of Education and Science, as requested by the University Senate’s Applications Nos. 4757/1992 and 7011/1992. Since 1995, according to Governmental Decision No. 568/1995, it has operated under its present name: the University of Agronomic Sciences and Veterinary Medicine of Bucharest.
The Faculty of Biotechnologies was established in 1994, and the Faculty of Management, Economic Engineering in Agriculture and Rural Development (F MIEADR, for its acronym in Romanian) in 2000.